The Health Care Authority’s mission is: We ensure that New Mexicans attain their highest level of health by providing whole-person, cost-effective, accessible, and high-quality health care and safety-net services.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

To Apply, click the YesNM icon on this page.

What is the purpose of this service?

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, known in New Mexico as NMWorks, provides a monthly cash benefit used to meet basic family needs such as housing, utilities, and clothing.


Who can receive TANF funds?

To qualify for TANF, a person must:

  • Live in New Mexico
  • Be below income and resource limits set for the program
  • Have dependent children age 18 or younger who are citizens or have eligible alien status
    • If children are 19, they must be a full-time high school student expected to graduate before the end of the month in which they become 20
  • Provide information on monthly income: Eligibility guidelines are provided HERE.

What happens once I return my application?

You will be asked to come in for an interview in about ten days. Your assigned worker will give you a list of things you need to provide. This information will tell your worker about you and your household so he or she can determine if you qualify for cash assistance. Bring as much of the requested information as you can to the interview. This will help us to help you faster.

If, after your interview, you need to provide more information, your worker will make a list of things you need to do. Your worker will explain how much time you have to gather the information. If you need more time, or you can’t get the information required, tell your worker as soon as possible.

When will I know if I can get cash assistance?

You will be notified by letter within 30 days as to whether or not your cash assistance was approved. If you do not agree with the decision, you can ask for a Fair Hearing. Remember, our job is to serve you. It is our policy to ensure that everyone who applies for and qualifies for cash assistance receives those benefits in a timely manner and in accordance with the law.

How will I receive my monthly allotment?

Each month your cash assistance allotment will be deposited into an Electronic Benefits Card. Like a debit card, you can use the EBT card to withdraw cash or purchase items your family needs. For information about the EBT card click HERE.

More Information and Resources

  • Note: The majority of people who qualify for TANF may qualify for other services provided by HSD
  • Use the HSD Field Office Locator to find your local Family Community Resource Center or contact the DHS Help Line at (800) 432-6217 for help
  • Federal TANF Website