Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is D-SNAP?

Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) provides temporary food assistance for households affected by a natural disaster. D-SNAP provides one month of benefits to eligible disaster survivors. To be eligible for D-SNAP, a household must live in the identified disaster area, have been affected by the disaster, and meet certain D-SNAP eligibility criteria

Which impacted areas are included in D-SNAP?

Residents impacted by fires in Lincoln and Otero County and the Mescalero Apache tribe may be eligible to apply for D-SNAP.  For more information regarding all wildfires in NM please visit 2024 Wildfires | NM Department of Homeland Security & Emergency (nmdhsem.org)

Do I need to apply for D-SNAP if I receive regular SNAP?

No, you do not need to apply for D-SNAP if you receive regular SNAP. Customers who receive regular SNAP may be eligible for replacement SNAP benefits for food already purchased but lost due to recent wildfires in New Mexico. 

Where can I apply for D-SNAP?

Impacted residents can apply for D-SNAP at the four sites below in addition to all local Income Support Offices beginning Wednesday, July 10 through Friday July 12, and Sunday, July 14 through Wednesday July 17. The hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday in the following locations:

  • Horton Complex: 237 Service Rd, Ruidoso, NM 88345
  • Roswell ISD Field Office: 1701 S. Sunset Ave, Roswell, NM 88203
  • Alamogordo ISD Field Office: 2000 Juniper Drive, Alamogordo, NM 88310

By phone at 1-800-283-4465.

To ensure one-on-one guidance, HCA will assist residents alphabetically by last name for the first three days of the application period. The remaining four days will be open to all applicants, regardless of their last name. 


Alphabet Served  


July 10 


Thursday, July 11 


Friday, July 12 


Saturday, July 13 


Sunday, July 14 


 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

Monday, July 15 


Tuesday, July 16 



July 17 



What do I need to provide to apply for D-SNAP?
  • A form of identification for the head of household, social security numbers (if available), and dates of birth for each household member.
  • Address of residency at the time of the disaster.
  • Income received or expected to be received for each household member during the disaster period.
  • Verification of assets for each household member (cash on hand, checking and/or savings).
  • Disaster related expenses incurred or expect to incur during the disaster period.
What is a disaster related expense?
  • Home repairs
  • Temporary shelter expenses
  • Evacuation clean up, disaster-damaged vehicle and storage/moving expenses paid during a 30-day period.
  • Medical expenses due to disaster-related personal injury, including funeral expenses.
  • Disaster related pet boarding fees and expenses to replace necessary personal items.
  • Fuel for primary heating/cooling source.

Items such as mortgage, rent, car notes etc. that are recurring expenses do not count as disaster related expenses. 

What is considered when determining D-SNAP eligibility?
  • The households take home pay received or expected to be received during the Disaster Period.
  • All available cash resources such as cash on hand, checking and savings account balances.
  • Minus the total dollar amount of money spent or expected to be spent on any disaster related expenses during the Disaster Period.
What is the D-SNAP income limit and how much will I receive in D-SNAP benefits?

Household Size

Income limit

Total deduction

Net Income Limit










































+ 1

+ $442


+ $379

+ $188

How long do I have to use my D-SNAP benefits?

D-SNAP benefits are issued for one month and can be used for up to 365 days.

How will I receive D-SNAP and when can I receive my benefits?
  • You must apply for D-SNAP at a designated site, designated sites are listed on the NMHCA website at https://www.hca.nm.gov/.
  • If eligible, you will receive an electronic benefits card (EBT) at the D-SNAP site.
  • Benefits will be loaded on your card 24 hours after approval.
What can I purchase with D-SNAP benefits?

Any food such as;

  • Fruits and vegetables;
  • Meat, poultry, and fish;
  • Dairy products;
  • Breads and cereals;
  • Other foods such as snack foods and non-alcoholic beverages; and
  • Prepared hot food through June 13, 2022, at any grocer in New Mexico.
What if I don’t have transportation to the D-SNAP site? Can I send an Authorized Representative?
  • Yes, you may send an authorized representative (AR), the AR must bring a picture ID, the picture ID of the head of household and a signed statement from the applicant/head of household authorizing them as the representative and to make an application on their behalf.
  • Elderly and/or disabled residents who do not have transportation may call and apply on the phone and document their case and verbally attest their information at: 1-800-283-4465.
Will there be applications for non-English speaking customers?

Yes, workers will have access to Language Link for language translation services.

Replacement SNAP Benefits

In light of the devastating fires in Lincoln and Otero counties, the New Mexico Human Services Department (HSD) is taking action to replace both lost food and EBT cards for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, (SNAP) customers.

People impacted by the South Fork and Salt fires will have until July 17, 2024, to report their food loss due to the disaster and request a replacement of their regular SNAP food benefits.

HCA Field Office Locations:

  • Horton Complex: 237 Service Rd, Ruidoso, NM 88345
  • Roswell ISD Field Office: 1701 S. Sunset Ave, Roswell, NM 88203
  • Alamogordo ISD Field Office: 2000 Juniper Drive, Alamogordo, NM 88310

To qualify for replacement of SNAP benefits, the household must:

  • Report the food loss, verbally or in writing, to the Human Services Department no later than July 17, 2024.
  • Live in one of the following affected Zip codes: 88312, 88345, 88355, 88346, 88340

For additional information about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) visit www.hca.nm.gov/lookingforassistance/supplemental_nutrition_assistance_program__snap/ apply-for-benefits or apply for SNAP and other HSD benefits online at www.yes.state.nm.us/yesnm/home/index